The application period for the 2019 MHIF Research Internship program will open in December 2018. Key dates for the 2019 MHIF Research Internship application process include:
December 1, 2018 – Application period opens
January 15, 2019 – Application deadline
May 29, 2019 – Internships begin
August 16, 2019 – Internships end
Training the Next Generation of Health Professionals
The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation® offers one of the most outstanding and unique research internship opportunities available to undergraduate premed students and those studying in other health care disciplines. Working with physician and research staff mentors, interns contribute to clinical research studies and publications that impact patient care. Each year, typically the work of interns results in 10+ presentations at national scientific meetings and 10+ publications in peer-reviewed journals. During their 12-week internships, in addition to their research work, interns spend 100 hours on shadowing, observations and other field trips for educational purposes. Eligibility and application details are listed below. Completed applications must be submitted by the deadline of January 15 for consideration.
Research Internship dates: Applications will be accepted December 1, 2018 through January 15, 2019 for internships May 29 – August 16, 2019.
Internship Program Supporters
Please click here for the full list of research internship program supporters.
Eligibility for the Research Internship Program
The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation® is seeking a diverse pool of interns based on a combination of demonstrated academic performance, leadership and career aspirations in the field of cardiology and/or research. Internships are full-time, last 12 weeks and include a stipend. Please note that we typically receive 20+ applications for each available intern position.
In order to be successful, applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in a U.S.- based accredited degree program in a healthcare or related discipline.
- Pursuing a career in clinical practice as an MD or DO, or potentially as a PA, NP or other APRN.
- Available to work from May 29 – August 17, 2018, with no more than 16 hours of time away from the office needed.
- Able to complete 8-12 hours of independent, online CITI training (basic training required to participate in human subjects/clinical research) between March 1 to March 30, 2018.
- Have a GPA of 3.60 or above (upon offer; will be verified by transcript).
- Preference will be given to those one to two years away from their anticipated medical school enrollment. This often means rising juniors or seniors, but may include graduate or post-baccalaureate students.
In compliance with federal law, upon hire, interns will be required to produce original documents verifying their identity and authorization to work in the United States and participate in other background checks. Upon acceptance of an internship offer, interns will be required to submit documentation to verify that they have met the immunization requirements established by Abbott Northwestern Hospital. Seasonal flu vaccination is mandatory unless medically contraindicated.
Interns will be provided a stipend to offset expenses. Stipends will be $420 per week (with taxes deducted), paid via payroll every other week. Additional need-based stipends may be available for those who receive offers to join the intern cohort. This can be discussed at the time an offer is extended.
Before You Apply
The application for this internship program consists of two parts:
- Online application, including demographics, experience, essays and motivation statement. NOTE: The 2018 application period will be from December 8, 2017 – January 15, 2018.
- Apply here: 2018 Research Internship Application
- To save your responses and return to the application at a later time, enable cookies and return using the same computer and web browser.
- Following directions is evaluated as part of the selection process.
- Email resume submission to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format, not to exceed one page.
- Use a reasonable font size and margins.
- Save your resume as a PDF using your first and last names in this format: Mindy_Kaling.pdf or Trevor_Noah.pdf.
- Confirm that your resume is, indeed, just one page.
- Email your PDF resume to email@example.com.
- Use this subject line format: Resume for Mindy Kaling (or Resume for Trevor Noah).
All of the requested information must be submitted by January 15 to be considered.
Deadline for completed applications – January 15, 2018.
Confirmation of completed application – 1 week after deadline.
Offer or decline notice sent to applicants – March 30, 2018.
Mandatory internship orientation begins – Wednesday, May 30, 2018 the week of Memorial Day.
Official end of internship program – the first Friday after the 15th of August.
Application process for the coming summer – posted here by December 15.
For questions about the internship program or the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.