In this Policy, we refer to “Personal Information,” which is data about an individual who can be identified from that data, or by combining it with other data. Personal Information is usually your name in combination with another identifier, such as date of birth, postal address, email address, telephone number, or government-issued identification number. Personal Information does not include anonymous or aggregated data that can no longer be used to identify a specific person, even if combined with other data. The specific definition of Personal Information varies from one jurisdiction to another.
Why do we gather information?
We gather information from you so we can communicate with you, process your donations, enhance and customize your experience using our website, and inform you of our research, newsletters, publications, events, online opportunities and other updates we believe you might find of interest.
We also use the information automatically collected about you during your use of the Website to improve the effectiveness of our Websites, operations, mobile experience, or marketing efforts, to prevent fraud and theft, and otherwise to protect visitors to our Website and business.
What information do we collect directly from you?
When you make a donation to MHIF through our website, we may collect your name, address, email address and phone number, and amount of donation. We may keep this information as required by law for non-profit organizations and for an additional period to respond to any inquiries from you. We retain Personal Information collected directly from you to meet professional obligations, prevent fraud, resolve inquiries or disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with an investigation, enforce our Terms and Conditions and take other actions permitted or required by applicable law.
Our payment processing vendor collects your credit card information or payment account information. This data may be maintained for a period after the payment posts to respond to your inquiries.
What is automatically collected from our website visitors?
When you visit our Website, certain non-personal information is collected, such as IP address, device ID, browser setting, operating system, referring domain, language preferences, mobile carrier, website activity and cookies.
Our cookies generally fall into one of four categories: Essential, Functional, Analytics and Target.
Essential Cookies are necessary to provide you with products and services available through our Website. If you refuse them, it will impact your ability to access some of the Website’s functions and features.
Performance Cookies help us enhance the performance and functionality of our Website and offerings, but are not necessary for your use. Still, certain functions or features may become unavailable if you refuse them.
Analytics Cookies collect information that is used to help us understand the use of our Website and offerings, the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns, or to help us customize our Website to enhance your experience.
Target Cookies record your visit to our Website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed, so we can recognize you as a prior visitor and track your activity on our Website and others you visit. These Cookies remain on your device for us to use during your next visit to our Website. In contrast to these “persistent” cookies, some cookies (“session cookies”) are deleted when your browsing session has ended.
If you do not wish to allow MHIF and other third parties to use this information to show you more relevant advertising, you can use a tool created by the Network Advertising Initiative to control your online advertising preferences more broadly.
Apart from these ad-specific choices, there are “do not track” or similar browser choices available to online users. Our Website will not operate any differently when a “do not track” signal is received since there presently no.
With whom do we share the information we collect?
We may release your Personal Information to others (including law enforcement) if we believe such release is reasonably necessary (i) to comply with a government or law enforcement request or judicial process; (ii) to operate this Website; (iii) to process any orders or registrations; (iv) to conduct any promotions, in which you participate; or (v) to protect the rights or property of MHIF, its Affiliates, users, customers, recipients, sponsors, or other affected parties.
In addition, we may share aggregate, non-individual information, incapable of identifying a particular person, with third parties for lawful purposes.
MHIF may maintain the Personal Information it collects from you on computers located outside of your state, province, country, or other government jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those from your jurisdiction. We process data, including Personal Information, in the United States. We do not transfer your Personal Information to another country without the existence of adequate security and privacy controls.
When you click on links that take you to third-party websites, you will be subject to the privacy policies and terms and conditions of those third-party websites, not ours. We are not responsible for those websites or the actions of third parties. We encourage you to read their privacy policies and user terms and conditions.
EU Resident Rights Under the GDPR
These disclosures apply only to our processing of Personal Information within the scope of the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) from one or more of the European Union Member States plus Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway (together known as the “European Economic Area” or “EEA”).
The GDPR went into effect on May 25, 2018. If you are a resident of the EU or EEA, you have certain rights with respect to the processing of your personal data, including:
- Access. You have the right to know if we are processing personal data about you and, if so, to access and obtain a copy of personal data about you, as well as information relating to the processing of that data.
- Correction. You have the right to have us promptly correct or update any personal data about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Erasure. You have the right to request deletion or erasure of your personal data in a number of circumstances as required by law, including when we no longer need the personal data for the purposes for which it was collected, you have withdrawn consent or when we are relying on legitimate interests as a legal basis and your rights override our legitimate interests.
- Portability. You have the right to obtain a copy of the personal data we hold about you in a structured machine-readable format and to have it transmitted to another controller. This right only occurs where we are relying on your consent or performance of a contract as our legal basis and the processing is carried out automatically.
- Restriction of Processing. You have the right to restrict or limit the ways in which we process your personal data when you contest the accuracy of the personal data, when your data has been obtained by us unlawfully, when you have objected to our processing of the data and we are considering whether to cease processing, or when we no longer need to process the personal data.
- Withdrawal of Consent. When we rely on consent as the basis for processing personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent.
- Objection. You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data when we are relying on legitimate interests as our legal basis and your rights override our legitimate interests in processing their personal data. You also have the right to object to our processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
- Complaint. You have the right to make a complaint about our personal data handling practices to your local Supervisory Authority.
We maintain a variety of security measures, including physical, electronic and administrative safeguards. No system can be completely secure, so we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your Personal Information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. We do not and cannot guarantee the security of your information. If you have reason to believe that your account has been compromised, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minneapolis Hearth Institute Foundation
Attention: Privacy Rights
920 East 28th Street, Suite 100
Minneapolis, MN 55407