The Nolan Family Center for Cardiovascular Health at the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation® (MHIF) aims to change the paradigm from cardiovascular disease to cardiovascular health through efforts in research and education. As part of the educational aim for the center, a one-year fellowship in cardiovascular prevention has been created to provide a robust experience to an individual interested in the field of cardiovascular prevention.
The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation is pleased to announce that Dr. Abdul Gamam has been selected to serve as its cardiovascular prevention fellow for 2022-2023 in the Nolan Family Center for Cardiovascular Health.
Dr. Gamam completed his three-year residency in internal medicine in June 2022 at Hennepin County Medical Center. While there, he served as a member of the Internal Medicine Diversity Committee with the mission of social justice through providing innovative strategies on trauma informed care and increasing racial diversity. He received both his medical degree and his Bachelor of Science degree in biochemistry from the University of Minnesota. Dr. Gamam has previous research experience at both the University of MN, as well as Harvard Medical School.
As an MHIF cardiovascular prevention research fellow, Dr. Gamam will spend approximately 80 percent of his time conducting prevention research and 20 percent in clinical practice over the next year. Through these experiences, the fellowship offers the opportunity to develop a thorough knowledge base and expertise in:
- Optimal methods of cardiovascular risk assessment, including coronary artery calcium scoring
- The importance of nutrition, physical activity, and smoking cessation in cardiovascular prevention as well as optimal counseling methods to implement behavioral change
- The diagnosis and treatment of complex lipid disorders, including familial hypercholesterolemia
- The diagnosis and treatment of cardiometabolic disorders, including type 2 diabetes
- The diagnosis and treatment of hypertension
In addition to Dr. Miedema, faculty for the fellowship include Dr. Courtney Jordan Baechler, MHIF medical director health equity and health promotion; Dr. Thomas Knickelbine, director of lipid research; Susan White, RDN, clinical program lead for cardiovascular health; and Gretchen Benson, RDN, program director for the Nolan Family Center for Cardiovascular Health.