Board of Director Opportunity
The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation (MHIF) is opening discussions with prospective members of the community to join its Board of Directors. The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation® (MHIF) is an independent, nonprofit research organization that partners with the cardiologists from Minneapolis Heart Institute® to lead groundbreaking clinical research and education focused on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of heart and vascular disease. Now in its 38th year, MHIF is one of the leading cardiovascular research and education institutions in the country. We exist to create a world without heart and vascular disease and our mission is to improve people’s lives through the highest quality cardiovascular research and education.
We are also interested in connecting with individuals who are interested in joining a Board Committee; this is an excellent way to get to know MHIF. Committees include Governance, Marketing/Development, Education and Finance/Audit.
Members of the Board of Directors of the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation (MHIF) have the opportunity to help move MHIF strategically forward and support and enable its mission through these responsibilities:
- Serve as a strong and consistent ambassador (advocate, brand builder, and storyteller) for MHIF throughout the community. Introduce others to MHIF directly and through social media, enabling various methods to reach the community.
- Ensure that the organization operates within relevant laws, regulatory requirements and ethical practices and is in compliance with its by-laws and policies. Ensure legal and ethical use of organization funds; review and approve the annual Form 990 and quarterly financials.
- Provide input to the strategic plan of the organization
- Offer insights, perspectives and competence from one’s organization and/or individual background relating to the organization’s key strategic and operational endeavors
- Participate in and contribute to at least one of the standing and/or special committees.
- Regularly prepare for and fully participate in Board and assigned committee meetings. Assume leadership positions over time at the Board and/or committee level.
- Contribute a personally significant financial gift to the annual operating campaign or planned giving. Wherever possible, assist Development in securing related corporate, government, individual and foundation support from others. Contribute to Board-approved special fundraising campaigns.
- Actively participate in stewardship efforts including identifying, cultivating and connecting with donors, working with Development to assess your network and providing new contacts where possible. Participate in written and verbal communication to prospects and donors.
- Serve as an MHIF Ambassador, help the Governance Committee identify prospective Board members or Committee members. Be alert to those who may have interests, skills, resources and a diverse perspective that would benefit MHIF. Facilitate introductions to key public and private organizations for collaboration and partnerships that will move the MHIF mission forward in innovative ways.
- Participate in the Annual centerpiece event (e.g. Gala, concerts, Going Grateful Campaign) and other MHIF hosted events when possible, host a table/chairs/pre-event or invite guests.
- Stay current and connected with MHIF through reading, Grand Rounds and webinars and by attending MHIF events e.g. staff and intern events, Founder’s Dinner, etc. when possible.
Contact MHIF to Discuss Joining our Board or Nominate Prospective Individuals
We are always interested in talking to those who have a passion for solutions around heart and vascular disease. At this time, we are particularly focusing on prospective Board members who have backgrounds in marketing, investments, finance, technology, human resources, advancement, mental health, clinical research operations and who add diversity including the perspective of being a patient.
If you are interested in discussing your background or would like to nominate another individual, please contact JWagner@mhif.org.
As this volunteer role is an important investment of time of Board members, candidates for Board and Committee seats engage in discussions with members of the Governance Committee to learn about MHIF and see if there is a mutual fit.