Cardiovascular disease remains the leading cause of death for US men and women. The aging population, diabetes epidemic, underuse of preventive strategies and suboptimal control of risk factors could exacerbate the future CVD burden. This conference will educate physicians, advanced care providers and support staff on current guidelines and opinion on the identification and treatment of cardiovascular disease.
5:00PM Registration, Dinner & Exhibits
6:00PM Welcome – Terence Longe, MD
6:10PM Aspirin for Primary Prevention: Why all the confusion? – Ashenafi Tamene, MD
6:30PM The 2018 Cholesterol Guidelines: Complicated Made Simple – Michael Miedema, MD
6:50PM Coronary Artery Calcium Scoring: Does my patient need one? – Marc Newell, MD
7:10PM Type II Diabetes: Time for Cardiology to get back in the game – Michael Miedema, MD
7:30PM Experts Panel moderated by Terence Longe, MD
8:00PM Exhibits & Dismissal
$25 Healthcare professionals
$50 Physicians requesting MOC (full information will be sent following registration)
Thursday, May 2, 2019 | 5PM-8PM
Edina Country Club
Primary, internal medicine and cardiology physicians, advanced care providers (nurse practitioners and physician assistants), and other health care professionals on their care teams.
- Describe the recent evidence on the use of aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.
- Explain the recommendations for use of aspirin in the recent ACC/AHA Prevention Guidelines.
- Describe the new recommendations for use of ezetimibe in the recent ACC/AHA Cholesterol Guidelines.
- Describe the new recommendations for use of PCSK9 Inhibitors in the recent ACC/AHA Cholesterol Guidelines.
- Recognize the impact of calcium scoring on cardiovascular risk.
- Summarize the recent research regarding use of calcium scoring to determine eligibility for preventive medications.
- Determine the appropriate eligibility criteria for use of SGLT-2 inhibitors for Type 2 diabetes.
- Determine the appropriate eligibility criteria for use of GLP-1 agonists for Type 2 diabetes.
2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol
Scott M. Grundy, Neil J. Stone, Alison L. Bailey, Craig Beam, Kim K.Birtcher, Roger S. Blumenthal, Lynne T. Braun, Sarah de Ferranti, JosephFaiella-Tommasino, Daniel E. Forman, Ronald Goldberg, Paul A.Heidenreich, Mark A. Hlatky, Daniel W. Jones, Donald Lloyd-Jones, NuriaLopez-Pajares, Chiadi E. Ndumele, Carl E. Orringer, Carmen A. Peralta, Joseph J. Saseen, Sidney C. Smith, Laurence Sperling, Salim S. Virani, Joseph Yeboah Journal of the American College of Cardiology Nov 2018, 25709; DOI: 10.1016/j.jacc.2018.11.003
Aspirin for the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: In Need of Clarity
Miedema, M.D., Huguelet, J. & Virani, S.S. Curr Atheroscler Rep (2016) 18: 4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11883-015-0555-0
Implications of Coronary Artery Calcium Testing Among Statin Candidates According to American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Cholesterol Management Guidelines
Khurram Nasir, Marcio S. Bittencourt, Michael J. Blaha, Ron Blankstein, Arthur S. Agatson, Juan J. Rivera, Michael D. Miedema, Christopher T. Sibley, Leslee J. Shaw, Roger S. Blumenthal, Matthew J. Budoff, Harlan M. Krumholz Journal of the American College of Cardiology Oct 2015, 66 (15) 1657-1668; DOI: 10.1016/j.jacc.2015.07.066