Job Posting: Medical AudioVisual, Illustration and Animation (MAIA) Intern
The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation® (MHIF) is seeking a Medical Audiovisual, Illustration and Animation Intern to join our team. Working under the guidance of the Chair of the Center for Coronary Artery Disease (CCAD), the Medical Audiovisual, Illustration, and Animation (MAIA) Intern will engage in a research and educational experience which will contribute to clinical research dedicated to improving clinical practice and ultimately discovering life-saving treatments.
Now in its 41st year, MHIF is one of the leading non-profit cardiovascular and vascular research and education institutions in the country. We exist to create a world without heart disease with a mission to improve people’s lives through the highest quality cardiovascular research and education. Staffed with over 100 high caliber employees, we conduct cutting-edge clinical research and transformative community research.
The MAIA Intern will be responsible for creating and developing medical illustrations, audiovisual and animation content to help educate and expand the knowledge regarding coronary artery disease (CAD) and Complex Coronary Intervention procedures among the target audiences of physicians, health professionals, industry partners and patients and their families.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop significant expertise in designing and publishing medical education content involving images, videos, animations and medical publication illustration enhancement. Working with an energetic, motivated team of physicians and professionals to advance their medical publication and conference presentation excellence, you’ll also impact their illustrations and AV content for oral presentations and posters. Working with physicians conducting complex coronary artery procedures, you’ll have the unique opportunity to record procedural imaging and methodology in the cath lab setting at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis with time in the adjacent MHIF offices on the Allina Health campus.
This internship will be for a minimum of 3-6 months with the opportunity for extension, for at least 30 hours a week and preferably 40 hours.
- Develop medical illustrations and build AV content covering complex coronary artery disease procedures (chronic total occlusions, coronary bifurcations, cardiac catheterization procedures and PCI complications). Develop illustrations and AV content to explain the various components of complex coronary artery disease, as well as the strategies and steps involved in the procedures to treat CAD. The MAIA Intern will also contribute medical illustration and graphic design support to scientific publications in the areas of complex coronary artery disease (e.g. saphenous vein graft disease, complex high-risk indicated procedures, percutaneous coronary intervention procedures and comparison of arterial access for percutaneous procedures).
- Work with CCAD collaborating physicians to observe cardiovascular lab patient procedures and record procedural imaging and methodology information after relevant institutional approvals and patient consent. They will then integrate the recorded material with educational content provided by Clinical Chairman/Physician Collaborators to develop educational videos and animations.
- Develop patient education materials to illustrate and explain different types of coronary artery disease and its management strategies.
- Working under the supervision and prioritization of the Chair/Principal Investigator (PI) and the CCAD Program Director you’ll collaborate with members of the CCAD team and MHIF Education team.
- Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts, Biological or Life Sciences or related areas
- Knowledge of basic medical anatomy and physiology via undergrad or certificate training courses
- Skilled and versatile with computer and multimedia technology related to medical illustration and animation, photography and videography skills acquired by experience or formal training. Applicants are encouraged to share samples of their work upon interview.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Skilled and versatile with Microsoft suite, especially PowerPoint
- Website development skills
- Flexible and adaptable to work on a variety of tasks to contribute to the goals of CCAD
Apply to join our talented 100+ person team:
Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer.
Date posted: September 6, 2023