Job Posting: Director of Marketing and Communications
The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation® (MHIF) strives to create a world without heart and vascular disease. As a member of the MHIF leadership team, you will make a difference by enabling cardiovascular and vascular research and education that ultimately changes the lives of patients. Now in its 40th year, MHIF is a leading global non-profit cardiovascular research and education institution which engages with the community, donors, industry partners and healthcare professionals. In this role you will make a significant impact by leading our connection with these partners locally and internationally to share our physicians’ and team’s discoveries.
In this critical role, you will be responsible for designing and executing MHIF’s marketing strategy, monitoring progress, and measuring success in support of MHIF’s vision, mission and brand. This leader will play a pivotal role in building and overseeing MHIF’s total brand, integrated messaging and audience management to enable the goals of cross-disciplinary teams including development, events, professional education, and research. By leveraging expertise across the marketing and communications landscape, the Director will lead a small team, manage/develop consulting partnerships, and guide the Digital Marketing Coordinator to implement integrated digital marketing campaigns across the website, social media, email, online advertising, and enable other digital opportunities in alignment with organizational priorities.
- Vision, strategy and planning
- Develop the overall MHIF marketing and public relations strategy in collaboration with the VP of Advancement, Marketing and Communications and the Marketing Consultant to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences including the media and key influencers.
- Develop and lead community-centric strategy (including digital and social) that aligns with MHIF’s larger marketing strategy and goals
- Personalize and segment communications for key stakeholders. Keep stakeholders updated regarding goals and priorities
- Collaborate with development team to plan and execute various development initiatives including online fundraising outreach
- Serve as subject matter expert for overall marketing/communication and digital marketing, keeping current with industry best practices
- Develop digital marketing roadmap and maximize online capabilities to support multiple department goals
- Lead direction and communication with external digital partners
- As communication advisor to MHIF leadership, help identify organizational communication opportunities/challenges and build strategies to address them.
- Ensure that MHIF leaders and staff know spokesperson communication protocol internally/externally.
- Execution/Communication Operations
- Lead and manage all communication functions and related staff/vendors to ensure execution across all marketing channels (including print, email, online advertising, social media, online fundraising tools, and website), budgets and timelines.
- Partner with content experts to ensure content educates and engages target audiences through the delivery of creative and tailored brand building messages
- Assist with creative concepting and develop the creative testing matrix (a/b testing, CTAs, landing pages and conversion funnels)
- Identify and address conflicts within cross-functional projects and teams
- Participate in and contribute to continuous quality and process improvement and organizational and leadership initiatives
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding MHIF programs, special events, public announcements and other projects. Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and ensure talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Metrics, Results Analysis and Impact
- Establish and monitor marketing and online fundraising KPIs to track measurement and progress
- Partner closely with development and data teams to pull audience lists from Salesforce and improve impact measurement
- Team Development/Management
- Attract, retain and support the engagement and development of communication staff.
- Foster team relationships with adjacent teams and facilitate a positive team culture.
- Ensure effective consulting/vendor relationships with clear priorities and integrated plans
- As a MHIF leader, help promote a positive, supportive culture across MHIF
This position reports to the VP of Advancement, Marketing, and Communications. The incumbent interacts regularly with members of the executive leadership, research, education, development, and finance departments, as well as vendors, board members, staff and Minneapolis Heart Institute colleagues as needed to assist in moving the overall marketing communications strategy forward. The Director directly supervises the Digital Marketing Coordinator and consultant and vendor partnerships.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or related field.
- Comprehensive marketing background with experience in brand management, marketing strategy and overseeing all facets of marketing communications, with proven record of impact
- At least three years’ experience working in digital marketing with experience leading digital campaigns in fundraising, brand awareness and community building
- Background in developing and aligning marketing strategy across the organization and with leadership and key stakeholders and keeping them well informed
- History of experience in identifying targeted audiences, building an audience, and growing a community from a brand perspective
- Some experience managing others or providing work direction and coaching feedback. Has a leadership orientation
- Demonstrated project and program management techniques, skills and experience
- Experience with customer relationship management databases (CRM), preferably Salesforce
- Experience with SEO, online advertising, email marketing, website management platforms, and marketing automation solutions
- Background in leveraging and maximizing data to reach organizational goals
- Strong creative concepting and content development skills
- Driven to meet and exceed outcomes; self-motivated and independent
- Excellent written, oral and presentation communication skills
- Experience successfully working with internal and external partners including corporate partners
- Well-developed problem solving and critical thinking and analysis skills. Detail oriented
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects on tight timelines, while meeting customer expectations
Apply to join our talented 80+ person team:
Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer.
Date posted: July 28, 2022