Beginning Spring/Summer 2023
An established cardiology research team (Principal investigator – PI: Emmanouil Brilakis, MD, PhD) invites applications for a full-time research scholar for a period of at least two years. Our research team is based at the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation (MHIF) in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA and works in collaboration with the Minneapolis Heart Institute® at Abbott Northwestern Hospital (MHI), part of the Allina Health System. The team is conducting several clinical studies, including the PROGRESS-CTO registry, the CrossBoss Firststudy, and the DIVA trial. We are seeking a highly motivated researcher who is interested in studying coronary artery disease and contributing to progress in the field.
The Research Scholar will be responsible for conducting clinical research studies using good clinical practice guidelines under the supervision of the PI. The Research Scholar will develop significant expertise in designing and executing clinical studies, both prospective and retrospective, single-center and multi-center. Moreover, they will acquire significant experience in medical writing and the publication process. The Research Scholar will also gain experience in preparing and submitting abstracts and challenging cases to scientific congresses, and in presenting their work in oral and/ or poster formats. Previous and current Research Scholars in the program have been very successful in publishing and securing clinical residency/fellowship training positions. This research position has no patient care responsibilities.
Duration: We will assist the chosen scholar in the acquisition of a research visa. We are looking for a minimum commitment of 2 years full-time to optimize this training, education, research and publication experience.
1. Initial research relates to chronic total occlusions/ coronary bifurcations/ cardiac catheterization and PCI complications, comparison of treatment/procedural strategies and outcomes. The scholars will evaluate the pathogenesis of the various components of complex coronary artery disease, as well as innovative treatments. The incumbent will also investigate and contribute actively to scientific work in the areas of complex coronary artery disease such as saphenous vein graft disease, complex high-risk indicated procedures/ percutaneous coronary intervention procedures and comparison of arterial access for percutaneous procedures.
2. Participate in the development and execution of the ongoing investigator-initiated trials at the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation. The scholars will be involved in development of creation of study databases, collaboration with research staff at the coordinating center as well as sites in collecting and analyzing study data, as well as recruitment of study participants.
3. Support “Get with the guidelines”: Creating systems and process so all coronary artery disease patients are treated according to best practice guidelines.
- Investigate guideline adherence and discover barriers that limit coronary artery disease patients from receiving standard of care.
- Design, develop, and implement novel patient care pathways leading to optimal guideline-based care.
4. Help expand the delivery of high-quality, state-of-the-art care for patients with coronary artery disease.
- Greatly improve coronary artery disease treatment outcomes by expanding treatment indications.
- Discover disease related mechanisms and early intervention methods to prevent advancing coronary artery disease.
- Drive early adoption of innovative therapies
5. Innovate novel education methods to disseminate best in class clinical care models
- Create a model where all physician/providers deliver optimal coronary artery disease care.
- Educate consumers and patients on seeking the state-of-the-art care in the prevention, screening, diagnosis, and treatment of coronary artery disease.
- Medical degree with track record of excellence
- Interest in coronary artery disease; exposure to/specialty training in general cardiology and/or interventional cardiology is preferred
- Knowledge of basic statistical methods
- Skilled and versatile with computer technology including the Microsoft suite including Excel, comfort with databases and preferably some website development skills
- Flexible and adaptable to work on a variety of studies and tasks
- Proficiency in English (verbal and written)
Salary: Research fellow will receive a full-time salary and employee benefits.
Include your CV and USMLE scores if completed and two letters of reference.
Join our talented 80+ person team:
Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer.
Date posted: May 18, 2022