Heart health is undeniably something we at the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation research and practice tirelessly throughout the year, but February is particularly special as we join with all Americans to celebrate American Heart Month.
When people come together to tackle a major problem, like heart disease, the collective energy and effort is inspiring. We’re on board for that and hope you are too!
First, the problem:
If you or a loved one has suffered from heart disease, you know the pain it causes.
- 600,000 Americans die of heart disease every year
- Heart disease is the #1 reason why people are hospitalized
- Heart disease can occur at any age
- Every year, about 805,000 people in the United States suffers a heart attack
The foe is formidable. The fight might be uphill. Yet every year research is finding new ways to save and improve lives. Through accelerated and focused studies, new processes, 40 years of research innovations, and the continued enthusiasm from the community, we’ll succeed.
Next, how you can celebrate the month?
- Proudly wear Red on Friday, February 4: Raise awareness by snapping a pic and sharing on social media with #HeartMonth
- Join The Heart Truth to learn how to make a heart-healthy Valentine’s Day meal on a Facebook Live cooking demonstration. Go to Facebook at 11 am CST on Friday, February 11.
- Celebrate with music: Lori Dokken is playing two free shows featuring and highlighting Patty Peterson, a grateful patient, and friend of MHIF. The shows are at Crooners and will raise awareness about heart disease and promote heart-healthy lifestyles. Seating is limited for these free shows on February 19 and February 20. If you can’t attend the concert, you can still make a gift to honor Patty.
- Understand the specific risks of heart valve disease: On February 19, MHIF will host Healthy Heart Valves, a free education event. Heart valve disease is estimated to affect 1 in 10 people ages 75+, and age is the greatest risk factor. Register and learn more about this free event.
- Rock from the Heart has two February events: February 11-12 in Fargo and February 25-26 in Minneapolis. MHIF cardiologists Dr. Santiago Garcia, MD and Dr. Vinayak Bapat, MD will speak at the Minneapolis Aortic Health Symposium preceding the Minneapolis concert. Learn about a concert series that is helping people with aortic disease.
- Join MHIF’s Dr. Courtney Jordan Baechler for an inspiring and heartfelt conversation on taking charge of your health in midlife. Too often women put off preventative appointments and self care because they are too busy taking care of others. Women can learn the steps to take now to better care for self at this free session on February 22 at 6:30 at ModernWell in Minneapolis. Learn more at Rumblings Media.
Finally, carry the passion with you throughout the year!
Many people will become more aware of the breadth of heart disease in February, but it’s important to not forget the lessons we learn this month. Bottle the energy gained. Store a little extra excitement in your heart for other periods of the year when heart-healthy initiatives are not front and center. This is a battle not won in one month, but one we know you will join us in overcoming!
MHIF is celebrating our 40th Anniversary in 2022!
Interested in lifesaving and life-enriching research and education? Stop by frequently to read 40 inspiring stories and stay tuned for special events: