Join the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation and make an impact as a Billing Specialist, enabling the success of our Research Business Services Team!
Now in its 39th year, MHIF is one of the leading non-profit cardiovascular and vascular research and education institutions in the country. We exist to create a world without heart disease and our mission is to improve people’s lives through the highest quality cardiovascular research and education. Staffed with over 80 high caliber employees, we conduct cutting-edge clinical research and transformative community research.
We are seeking candidates committed to making a difference and bring a high level of integrity, initiative, flexibility, organization skills, and a positive attitude. In this role, you will support the ongoing needs of clinical research trials through financial management of a large portfolio of research studies. In collaboration with Research Business Services and Finance teams, this individual is responsible for providing billing support in accounts payable, receivable, reporting, and compliance. Reporting to the Sr. Advisor, Research Business Services, you will also collaborate with the broader Clinical Research department including MHIF clinical research coordinators and managers, contract/budget/regulatory personnel, and Allina staff and vendors.
The Billing Specialist position provides support to the Research Business Services area, by performing key activities in the financial management of a large portfolio of research studies. The position will support billing compliance processes for a multitude of research encounters throughout the lifecycle of each study. The Billing Specialist will manage the processing of study accounts payables and receivables and manage account resolution. The position will assist in the development of and perform key quality monitoring to ensure proper billing and account maintenance.
The Billing Specialist will perform research billing review procedures on patient accounts. The position will be responsible for providing guidance and periodic training as needed to research coordinators with respect to the bill review process, invoicing requirements, and system support. The Finance Specialist will serve as key contact for patient billing resolution.
The position may provide additional administrative support to Research and/or Finance as capacity allows.
- Billing Compliance
- Following billing compliance documentation, makes determination on billable services, completes billing review procedures.
- Consults with research staff to review complex patient billing encounters.
- Participates in study startup activities to ensure the proper launch of patient registration and billing processes.
- Serves as key contact for billing issues management. Tracks and monitors billing compliance issues
- Serves as a subject matter expert with respect to research billing; provides guidance to staff and assists with training as needed
- Study Accounts Payable
- Reviews and processes hospital, clinic, and ancillary charges.
- Reviews and processes subject travel, accommodations, and stipends.
- Reviews and processes other study expenses such as IRB invoices, hospital/clinic pharmacy, lab, and administrative expenses.
- Works with Allina Office of Sponsored Programs to resolve study account statements.
- Study Accounts Receivable
- Enters administrative revenue activities into system.
- May assist with multi-center and/or satellite site disbursements.
- Interacts with Finance team with regard to study information, receivables management and system inquiries, etc.
- Quality Assurance, Reporting
- Performs quality monitoring to ensure proper capture of study activities and related billing.
- Runs system reports, as needed.
Reports to the Sr. Advisor, Research Business Services with frequent interaction with clinical research teams, managers, contract/budget/regulatory personnel, and the Finance team. Works closely with the CTMS administrator, Allina Office of Sponsored Programs billing compliance staff and hospital/clinic billing office personnel.
This position will interface with research patients regarding inquiries and resolution of research billing.
- Associates Degree in Business, Accounting, or related field
- 2+ years working in a clinical research area or similar healthcare role
- Previous experience working in Epic* electronic medical record as well as a clinical trial management system (*or similar EMR)
- Proficient in MS Office suite, with strong Excel skills
- Demonstrated strong customer service performance
- Ability to interpret clinical trial contractual terms and billing compliance requirements
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to manage a large portfolio of studies (50+ studies)
Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods.
This job description represents the major functions of the position but is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Join our talented 80+ person team:
Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer.
Date posted: October 20, 2021