The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation® (MHIF) is seeking a Program Director for its Valve Science Center and Center for Imaging Research to contribute to MHIF’s vision of creating a world without heart and vascular disease. To achieve this bold vision, we are dedicated to improving the cardiovascular health of individuals and communities through innovative research and education. Now in its 38th year, MHIF is recognized globally as a research leader in the broadest range of cardiovascular medicine with cutting-edge science centers.
In support of the mission of the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation (MHIF), the Program Director, Valve Science Center (VSC) engages a multidisciplinary team dedicated to research and education in valvular heart disease and cardiovascular imaging with the ultimate goal of improving patients’ lives through a world-class research center. In this visionary leadership role, the Director creates, promotes, and drives the execution of the vision and strategies of the Valve Science Center and the Cardiovascular Imaging Research Center (CIRC), building long-term sustainability while being agile and setting the pace.
1. Moves vision into action.
- With the VSC Chair and the CIRC Scientific Director, creates an exciting vision for a world-class valvular heart research center with an integrated research imaging center that is sought after globally for patient care, research and education. Translates this vision into strategies and plans that bring clarity when leading the cross-functional Core Team,
- Sets goals, milestones, metrics and team action plans for accountability. Works with the team to identify top priorities and high impact activities that will bring a sustainable result. Remaining nimble, proactively looks for opportunities to realize center vision through research, education, dissemination, brand awareness, partnerships, and beyond.
- Fosters an environment of collaboration among MHIF staff, physicians, and investigators and understands their goals
- Taps the expertise of and works closely with Marketing Communication, Education and Development, and where possible, industry and other partners, to build and prioritize programs that will generate desired outcomes.
- Collaborates with key research leaders and functions, including the Director, IIR and Scientific Services and the IIR team, and Regulatory in relation to project and study development, budgets, and contracts. In collaboration with the VP of Clinical Research and Structural Heart team, stays abreast of sponsored clinical trials to support and further the VSC research agenda and portfolio. Ensures clarity of roles for research strategy and execution.
- Assess resources needed to accomplish the VSC plans. In partnership with the Chair and MHIF leadership, secures commitment of resources, technology, infrastructure, and partnerships to enable long-term success of the program
- Leads the VSC Core Team meetings and agendas, actively supporting, coaching, and enabling the team’s success
- Manages relationships to ensure VSC program visibility with key stakeholders including the MHIF Research Committee, MHI and MHIF leadership, Allina Health, and Abbott Northwestern Foundation
2. Ensures sustenance and growth in the Program through securing intramural and extramural funding.
- In partnership with MHIF Finance, ensures that there is a viable, multi-year, financial business plan. Tracks the budget and revenue achievement
- Identifies and follows through on leads and actively pursues funding opportunities internally and externally
- Collaborates actively with MHIF Development, MHI, and Allina to maximize funding support for the VSC
- Cultivates relationships with key opinion leaders, philanthropists, granting agencies, physicians, and industries
- Creates and supports documents needed for research initiatives and grant applications
- Regularly provides updates and progress reports to key supporters regarding the accomplishments of the Program
- Keeps current with scientific literature on valvular heart disease and meets with key opinion leaders and industry members to stay abreast with current trends in the field
3. Plays an active role in championing and enabling the execution and dissemination of research studies conducted within the VSC and CIRC.
- Works with Scientific Services to identify optimal venues for research publications
- Stays current with the work of the fellows, residents and international scholars, looking for opportunities for exposure and promotion
- Assists in the development and the design of research protocols
- Partners externally and internally with scientific services, statisticians, and investigators to ensure a research database on patients with valvular heart disease
- When possible, contributes as an author, both as lead writer and co-author, on VSC or CIRC research papers for publication
- Collaborates with MHIF and Allina Quality and Regulatory to ensure compliance of all activities
- Provides technical expertise to optimize the dissemination of research activities
- Regularly presents results of the Program’s efforts and activities to MHIF, MHI, and the community
- Attends and participates in local, regional, and national scientific meetings on valvular heart disease to stay educated and at the forefront of research in the field
- Supports valve and imaging scholars, physician fellows, and research interns fulfilling research projects in the Program
4. Helps build and promote the brand and visibility of the VSC and CIRC and their outcomes.
- In collaboration with and utilizing the expertise of MHIF Marketing and Communications, builds strategies and plans to advance awareness of the Center and further key strategies via the web and social media as well as congresses, conferences, and presentations
- Develops strategic agendas for identified convenings e.g. VSC key opinion leader meetings and summits and ensures execution of those events through logistics partners
- Identifies opportunities to partner with industry, including revenue- generating opportunities
- Helps identify priorities and contributes content for the MHIF website, and social media outlets
- Furthers the brand through all other touch points – Marketing, Development, and Education to ensure a prioritized schedule of integrated events/offerings
5. Serves as manager of international scholars dedicated to the VSC and CIRC.
- Facilitates financial sponsorship/grants of international scholars. Maintains contracts and completes required reports to sponsors
- With HR and the VSC Chair or Scientific Director, Imaging, participates in the selection of scholars. Supports HR’s visa acquisition and visa extension processes.
- Manages the onboarding and training process of new scholars.
- With the VSC Chair, ensures that scholar projects are well defined and that they receive ongoing feedback to accomplish their work. Ensures that the scholar has access to the software and data sets needed for their research.
- Provides feedback and coaching and conducts periodic 1:1’s each scholar to facilitate their success.
- Evaluates what conferences and trainings the scholar should participate in and ensure that they get the needed exposure and opportunities.
Reporting and Other Relationships:
Enabling integration within MHIF, this position administratively reports to the MHIF Director, IIR and Scientific Services. For strategic direction, this individual is a dotted line report to the Chair of the VSC and Scientific Director of CIRC. Direct reports include center international scholars. Besides the multi-disciplinary Core Team, this leader interacts regularly with the Executive Leadership Team of MHIF, members of the MHIF Clinical and IIR Research departments, the Regulatory and Compliance, Finance, Marketing, Education, HR, and Development teams, the Research Committee, and Minneapolis Heart Institute (MHI) physicians and staff. This person also maintains and builds new contacts and relationships with Allina, industry, and the community to foster success of the program and fulfill its mission.
Key Qualifications for Consideration:
- Demonstrated energy and passion for the field with examples of prior successes with programs, projects and initiatives
- A Masters in Business or a Master’s degree in a scientific field or engineering with at least 10 years of experience in healthcare, medical devices or pharmaceuticals and/or research (ideally a blend)
- Background in cardiology and imaging is a plus
- Experience in setting strategy and translating to goals and a working plan with ongoing prioritization
- Proven project management experience with integrated programs and cross-functional team management bringing projects, plans, and budgets to successful outcomes
- Proven experience in developing relationships with physicians and with industry partners
- Strong background in marketing with a history of building out programs and concepts. Good understanding of educational/adult learning programs
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities with versatile interpersonal and team development skills to promote a high performing and collaborative team
- Demonstrated proficiency in securing intramural and extramural funding for projects
- Well-developed written, oral, and presentation communication skills. Highly developed listening skills
- Strong business acumen and foundational financial skills
This job description represents the major functions of the position, but is not intended to be all-inclusive.
To apply to join our talented 70+ person team, please use the link below:
Date posted: June 5, 2020
The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer.