The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation® (MHIF) is seeking a Financial Planning and Accounting Manager to contribute to MHIF’s vision of creating a world without heart and vascular disease. To achieve this bold vision, we are dedicated to improving the cardiovascular health of individuals and communities through innovative research and education. Now in its 36th year, MHIF is a recognized research leader in the broadest range of cardiovascular medicine and population health initiatives. Each year MHIF leads more than 175 active research projects and publishes more than 120 peer-reviewed studies. And MHIF leads cutting-edge, transformative population health research to connect, engage, inform and empower individuals and communities to improve their health.
In support of this mission, this position is responsible for financial reporting, planning and analysis across the Foundation. This high impact position drives the implementation of strategies and goals for an integrated reporting system including leveraging technology to improve the content, timing and efficiency of reporting to both internal and external audiences. The position also oversees and coordinates all aspects of federal and corporate or foundation grants from inception to post-award. This position includes participation in month-end accounting closes, annual external audit preparation, and annual budget preparation.
Overall, the Financial Planning and Accounting Manager will contribute significantly to creating a sustainable financial reporting, planning and analysis process to advance decision-making across the organization.
1. Reporting and Analysis
Clarifies reporting needs, develops or refines reports and reporting systems and performs analysis of reports to aid stakeholder decision making and improve execution for these areas and audiences: Board and Board Committees, Physicians, Science Centers, Investigator Initiated Research, Research Operations, Internal department budget to actual, Quarterly Business Reviews and Ad-hoc reporting.
2. Grant Administration, Management & Reporting
· Manages prime or subcontract process for federal grants with collaborating organizations
· Advises the investigators on administrative requirements in preparing proposal submissions
· Assists in developing budgets and budget justifications which including proofing the budget for inconsistencies, ensuring accuracy and consistency between budgets and budget justification
· Manage budget, reporting and compliance timelines through the lifecycle of the grant or contract; communicate as appropriate with investigators and MHIF leadership
· Perform overall grants monitoring, reporting and closing of grants
· Monitor compliance with agency regulations or organizations policies regarding reporting
3. Year-end audit and annual budget support
· Assists with schedule preparation for annual audit as needed. Works with CFO in preparation of annual budget and scenario analyses
· Ensure approved budgets are uploaded into accounting system
4. Month-end close participation
Assists team with month end journal entries and reconciliations as needed to facilitate a timely month-end close.
5. Project oversight / duties as assigned
This position adds value and contributes across MHIF; may lead ad hoc teams to advance the overall organizational strategy. This may include participating in a general ledger upgrade or conversion.
This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer and interacts and collaborates regularly with other members of the Finance, Development, Education and Research teams. Also fosters relationships in MHI and Allina as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting
- Minimum five years of experience in accounting, including financial planning and analysis, budgeting and financial reporting. Prefer 2+ years in public accounting, then 2+ years in finance and accounting at a nonprofit with experience with a general ledger conversion and upgrade
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Excel and Word
- Experience with accounting software
- Demonstrated ability to perform and prepare budget estimates and to understand and apply financial concepts
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with business intelligence reporting platforms and systems
- Experience with database basics
- Strong problem solving skills and experience in balancing multiple priorities
- Ability to work with others as a team and lead project teams and advance a positive work culture
- Experience in working and contributing through a change process and building new processes
- Experience with Great Plains accounting software
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) designation
Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
This job description represents the major functions of the position but is not intended to be all-inclusive.
To apply to join our talented 70+ person team:
Please apply on line using the link below and be prepared to attach a cover letter and resume as one document.
Please click on the following link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=mhif&jobId=224071&lang=en_US&source=CC3
Date posted: February 28, 2018
The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer.